Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Am I a bad Mom?

So I am feeling so frustrated today and feeling so guilty that I am actually looking forward to work tonight because it means a few hours away from Raegan. She is having a tough day and not napping and not really happy in my arms either, so I am out of things to try except letting her cry, which is soooo hard to do and hurts me to hear but, I don't know what else to do. It is frustrating because some days she does so well and goes down for her naps easily and takes 3 to 4 naps including at least one longer 2 hour nap, then there are days like today where she has not taken longer than a 30 minute nap and that is after fighting it for 30 minutes. So any ideas, or suggestions from you veteran moms, please let me know. Am I a bad mom for wanting to get away from it for a few hours? Am I doing something wrong? Will it ever get better?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so not alone...someone told me this once and it really helped me put it into perspective...babies are people...we have bad days just like they do...sometimes we don't sleep well, we don't want to eat a lot, we don't feel like doing much, maybe we don't have a lot of energy and then there are days that we feel great, sleep great, eat great, etc! They are people just like us...but I know it's still hard! The only thing I would suggest that I haven't already:) is if you're not using white noise get a noise maker or a humidifier or something that will help her sleep??? You are a GREAT mom and remember it's your first time and you know what, it does get easier...well different and easier I think...good luck!

Anonymous said...

Only great moms worry about being a "bad" mom! Crazy mom is right. Little people dont know why they are grumpy and cant tell you even if they could. It does get better! You are doing a fantastic job, especially since you are home 24/7. If you had to work full-time, you'd miss some of Raegan's bad days but you'd feel guilty and miss all of her good ones too. Its entirely normal to look forward to getting away whether its work, time with friends etc. .. and good for you to do it. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of someone else. I can remember waiting at the door at 6 PM to hand off Chris to his dad on his bad days just so I could unwind and regain perspective. In retrospect, it seems like your mind knows the fussing shouldn't bother you so much ... but emotionally it just does! Hope you are having a better day today - just look at the rest of your blog comments and realize they are 10 to one ratio of good days to bad.

Remember "This too shall pass." We love you all.

Kolb Family said...

You are a GREAT mom!!! Just because you need a breather every once in a while does not make you a bad mom! It is the hardest most rewarding job in the world, did I say HARDEST!!!!!! I promise you it does get easier! All I can keep saying is keep her on a schedule, and WHITE NOISE WHITE NOISE!! I cannot sing the praises of my white noise cd enough, I LOVE IT, and so does Blake!!!! You are almost at the 12 week mark and after that it gets much easier I promise!! When it gets tough just remember to cherish every moment because it will be over before you know it... You are great!!